Monday, April 14, 2008

Earth's Adventures -- a book project in progress


I began working on a new book project in North Carolina and it has been sitting since I got home --  there hasn't been too much time in the studio since arriving back in Miami.  This is my constant challenge -- to find time to create, keep current with all of my freelance projects and maintain some kind of balance (hence a day of sorting Lego). 

The process of creating this book was quite different from my usual method. In this project, I used an existing binding -- the cloth covered boards of a  text book, Earth's Adventures, that I found in a thrift shop.  A children's book on geology published in 1942,  I liked the title and the faded color of the cover boards. I removed the text block, gutting the book.  I then made paste papers on very heavy watercolor paper and began painting with Golden fluid acrylics and drawing with graphite and opaque silver and white pens.  
Once I am happy with the pages, I will integrate pop-ups for several of the pages (the two forms to the right of the book will be pop-ups, floating over the pages.) I've been thinking that I need to incorporate some text but have yet to find the right match. Any ideas out there?

3 comments:

laura said...

Hi Lea. Thanks for your comment on my blog. Can't wait to see your finished Earth's Adventures--I agree, the title's great--book. I took a one-day seminar in book arts wherein we made 3 small uncomplicated books: it was one of the most satisfying days of my life! I walked out of there feeling like a little kid so pleased with myself and what I made! ;-)

Back to Centre said...

I know what you mean -- books are really satisfying to make! For the exhibition I'm working on, I'm playing on the title bound/unbound so there will be books on pedestals throughout the space but also "pages" or unbound book components on the walls. I still have a lot of work to produce!

Anonymous said...

hey, love the new work
i've still got a book to show you if you can stretch the avoidance mechanism for a few more minutes.
talk to you soon
tom